Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's Report Card Day .......


I held a revealing telephone conversation yesterday evening. Actually three, but one sticks in my head. With Obama supporters, it takes a certain amount of temerity, stupidity or alcohol to broach the subject but, broach it I did.

So, employing my most engaging interviewing technique, I asked how the person felt that Obama was doing and I was not surprised by the reaction which was, “I think he’s doing great”. But I’m not a quitter and I so I went on to wonder if the person could be a little more specific such as telling me what he’d actually done. Again, not surprisingly, there was a brief moment and then I heard a reiteration that overall, he was doing very well.

Is that a fact? Last weekend, Obama was asked to grade himself on his first 10 months in the job. Now, a normal person would have deferred the question and would have protested that it was too early, ask me again a couple of years from now, etc .. etc .. etc. But not Obama.

The very next day, yesterday to be precise, a major news outlet in this country polled 100,000 voters and asked them to fill out Obama’s report card and they went further by making the process more granular. Here are the results and, Oh by the way, the choices were A, B, C, D and I ( for incomplete). In deference to the office there was no F.

Handling the Economy 73% D

Domestic & Social Issues 80% D

Foreign Affairs 79% D

Afghan & Iraq Wars 63% D

Leadership 80% D

National Security 82% D

Management Style 81% D

It doesn’t take an Einstein to work out the Grade Point Average but actually it was an 85% D. And bear in mind, there was no F.

Of course, by now, you’re all on the edge of your seats as you wait to learn Obama’s answer on TV. Well, he awarded himself, and I quote, “ A solid B+”.

Has anyone ever explained to that man the difference between self-confidence and self-aggrandizement? Or how about the difference between realism and fantasy?

So, Obama believes he is the cats meow and so does one Arizonan. Somehow I doubt that will be enough to carry the day for his party in 2010 nor for he and his party in 2012.

Even including Chicago ballot practices

No comments:

Post a Comment