Friday, April 16, 2010

Some things just p--- me off





It’s been an “interesting” couple of days even for me. I did worry that life in retirement would be boring, or at best predictable.

Neither have come to pass..

I went to a dinner at a friend’s home on Wednesday and now I wish I had not. The hors d’oeuvres were great and, after I’d turned off the omnipresent TV set, the conversation was too, for a while until it became clear that a husband and wife did not get along.

However, it was predestined to escalate when one of the two became an attack dog for Obamacare. I cannot blame my reaction on alcohol for I’d had only one drink.

But when I saw the thin lips drawn back, the teeth bared and sensed the venom, my hackles went up. I listened for a while which was clearly not long enough for my opponent and it wasn’t long before I discharged both barrels. All the spouse wanted to do was to change the subject because, perhaps, he’d heard it all before.

But she had the bit between her teeth and so did I.

Every once in a while, her husband would poke his nose out of the trench and plead her to at least cite a real example instead of a litany of liberal platitudes. Eventually, when she ran out of them, she agreed to change the subject. For a while. But only for a while. ………..

Needless to say, I got to bed late and I woke up early as usual. But I had things to do that day.

Around 5:30pm I arrived at Diablo Stadium in Tempe, Arizona for a Tea Party Event.. According to their turnstiles, more than 7,500 people joined me.

This was not a mob. This was not a Nuremburg Nazi Rally any more than the Freedom Concert I attended last August. It was a “festive and peaceful event” as reported by most media outlets to the disappointment of some. As far as I know the attempt to “Crash the Party” did not succeed.

While all this was going on, Obama was speaking at a fundraiser in Miami, Florida, and I quote.

“I’ve been amused recently by all these people holding rallies around the country. And they’re complaining about the tax burden they face; You’d think they ought to be thanking me?

A few minutes later the audience, carefully vetted and selected of course, and as if on cue rose and started chanting “Thank You, Thank You”. Now chants like that sound ominous to me. Shades of Leni Riefenstahl?

The difference between the Obama event and the Freedom Concert that my date found so disturbing was that at the former, the leader was there. While at the latter, the goal was to build scholarships for kids who lost a parent in the service of our nation whether that be in the military or police or fire. Perhaps to a liberal, if you wear a uniform, you’re the enemy.

George W. was often accused of the “smirk”. Well BO has his own and in street parlance, its known as the “strut”. And, we’ve all seen it either from him or from others.

In her Blog today, Michelle Malkin advised the following.

“Keep Laughing. You’ll need your sense of humor on the morning of November 3rd.”

I’ve already set my alarm clock.

And, as for my dinner opponent. She had spent a good chunk of the evening bitching about my refusal to listen to her “reasoned” arguments about the healthcare in Denmark and/or Japan. '
Now I know nothing about either and I'm prepared to bet that neither did she, but I do know something about the system in the UK and told her so and cited examples.
I should have saved my breath.
But, her parting shot was that she would never read this Blog.
Ah Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment