Friday, April 17, 2009

The Land of Lincoln?


Quite a while ago I decided that I really didn’t like traveling at all. I like my own house with my own stuff in it but there’s more to life than some kind of personal “feng shui”. So, I refined my beliefs and now I feel that travel is OK when I get there.

The problem is the “getting there”. And you all know the drill. First you have to get to the airport about 2 hours before the scheduled flight time. Then you wait in line and you check yourself in. If you’re lucky, a surly employee gives you a dirty look as they lurch over to drag your bag onto the conveyor. Before that though, you’ll be billed for all the bags and you’ll get a double whammy if one of ‘em is even a pound overweight.

Next comes the TSA and their ritualized indignities. But, assuming some overly chunky official doesn’t insist on patting you down as he/she/it confiscates a pack of moistened nasal wipes, you’re now on your way. Well, you will be when you’ve struggled recalcitrant feet back into your shoes!

Now, don’t forget to buy a bottle of water and an overpriced sandwich because whatever it is and no matter the price, it’ll still be better than anything offered on the airplane; assuming anything is!

OK, I’m now at the departure gate but a screen now tells me that the incoming flight is delayed and the scheduled departure is as yet undetermined. Never mind, I’ve got a new novel except that after the first page, I know I’ve read it before. So now, all that’s left is the TV screen in the departure lounge but there’s no remote and I’m stuck with CNN. According to the last Nielsen ratings, CNN is less watched than is CNBC. And I know why.

During the Tea Parties a couple of days ago, a CNN crew was dispatched to such an event in Chicago. Some clueless bimbo from that outlet approached an attendee and asked him why he was there. He said, “He was proud to live in the ‘Land of Lincoln’ and he, Lincoln, believed that one should keep as much as possible of the fruits of their labor”.

At which point, the “bimbo” came unglued. “Don’t you realize?” she screeched, “your state is going to get 50 Billion dollars from President Obama?” He stared long and hard at her and you knew what he was really thinking. But he satisfied himself with this, “It was my money to start with, I worked for it and I’ll wind up paying the interest on it. How many times do I have to earn it?”

She gasped like an asthmatic fish out of water and slunk off, perhaps to seek a more malleable interviewee. But, perhaps not. Maybe she should seek a new career.

Or, if she wanted to be really brave, she could investigate the “Government Domestic Spying” scandal. Remember that? During the Bush Administration, the drive-by media and the Left at large was all over the domestic surveillance program. It was an intolerable invasion of privacy, or should that be piracy, and unconstitutional. Obama and his party vowed to end it. Guess what, he hasn’t. In fact this crowd has extended it and has also endorsed measures to indemnify telecommunications carriers from any possible litigation.

Or, she could investigate the latest attempt by Obama to grant amnesty to illegal aliens by reclassifying them all as “political refugees”. Please note that the Left harps on the idea of “law-abiding illegal aliens".

Surely an oxymoron, because, by definition, they’ve already broken the law?


Or the "bimbo" could seek a new career with the TSA and ask fatuous questions?

That, we know she can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment